Earth Day– The birthday of the environmental movement that started back in the 1970’s. It’s a day where we reflect mindfully on our consumption, seek more environmentally friendly practices, and realize the value and importance of caring for our environment. After all, we have to live in it.
What does fashion and Earth Day have in common?
First, let’s start with this. How many items in your wardrobe collection have sat unused over the past year? Approximately 30% of the average American’s closet has not been worn in the past year.
You don’t have to convert to the lifestyle of a hippie to be more green. There’s small changes that you and I could easily make to our everyday lives to help mother nature out. That means less fast fashion, and smarter fashion purchases.
One of the easiest ways to be more green is to limit the amount of clothing we buy. Say what?!? According to the National Resources Defense Council, “textile-making is one of the most polluting industries in the world.” China seems to be the biggest culprit, accounting for over half of all the clothing that Americans buy, which the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates to be at $1700 per household annually.
Here are some stats:
• China disposes of nearly 3 billion tons of soot each year related to textile making
• Water discharge from textile mills is over 2.5 billion tons per year.
• Millions of tons of unused fabric at Chinese mills go to waste each year when dyed the wrong color according to the National Resources Defense Council
At Style Lend we think this should change! By no means are we suggesting to give up shopping, after all, it’s what we do best. Style is indicative of how we feel and how we want others to perceive us, the annihilation of shopping makes self-expression in the way we dress obsolete. There’s a more green way to shop, and it’s 100% eco friendly, it comes in the form of lending and renting.
Some smarter shopping stats:
• Renting allows you, the consumer to drastically reduce the amount of waste that these textile mills create on an annual basis.
• Renting allows you to change your style as often as you want.
• Renting allows you to the freedom to “shop” as much as you want.
• Lending allows you to put that 30% of your closet back to use.
• Lending allows you to be more green not just in the environmental way but in cash form as well.
Renting & Lending is something that we could all easily do and it has the power to drastically reduce the waste and pollution that comes along with clothing production. You don’t have to make big lifestyle changes to impact the environment, sometimes small steps can go long ways.
Interested in more ideas of small changes?
Check out the Carbon Footprint Calculator to learn about your specific impact on the environment and what you can do to change.